Over the last three years, I have been discerning an invitation to plant a contemplative Vineyard church in Winnipeg’s West End focused on facilitating and nourishing experience with God (Father, Jesus, and Holy Spirit) in a way that features the ethos of spiritual direction, joins ancient and contemporary Christian spiritual practices, and deepens people’s faith, hope, and love.
There is much to share about the discernment journey and I’ll do so at another time. Suffice to say, the church (name to be determined) is ready to sprout. The next few months are experimental and we may change things around as we go; we will also likely meet on Sundays in the future. I’d like to introduce our rhythm, the main features of our gatherings, and invite your participation. Details regarding time, date, etc. are at the bottom of the page and you’re most welcome to contact me if you’d like any further information.
WEEK A | Potluck
We have dinner and hang out together. If you’d like to come, bring a food (appetizer, salad, side, main, or dessert) or drink item to share, or just show up and enjoy some hospitality.
Note: our home is nut-free so please ensure that what you bring doesn’t contain peanuts or tree nuts.
WEEK B | Reflecting, Listening, Singing, Communion
We begin with snacks, tea/coffee, and visiting. Then, using the Prayer of Examen and Lectio Divina respectively, we reflect on how God has been present in our week and listen to what he might be saying to us as someone reads a short Bible passage (from the Lectionary) aloud. We also sing songs to God, pray for each other, and finish our time together by sharing communion.
WEEK C | Teaching, Singing, Communion
We begin with snacks, tea/coffee, and visiting. Then, someone (usually me) teaches on a gospel passage from the Bible (from the Lectionary) with a view to painting a bigger, more beautiful portrait of God. We also sing songs to God, pray for each other, and finish our time together by sharing communion.
OTHER WEEKS | Rest and Special Gatherings
On selected weeks, we take a break from meeting and don’t have a gathering. Occasionally, we also have special gatherings which are slight departures from our usual routine.
Time | Mondays, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm. We will likely switch to Sunday morning gatherings in the future.
Location | Typically, meet in our home in Winnipeg’s West End. Contact me for the address.
Childcare | Kids are welcome, though at this time there’s no childcare or specialized kids’ activities available.
Winter, 2020: Epiphany to Easter
- Jan. 13 (Week A) | Potluck
- Jan. 20 (Week B) Epiphany 2 | Reflecting, Listening, Singing, Communion | John 1:29-42
- Jan. 27 (Week C) Epiphany 3 | Teaching, Singing, Communion | Matthew 3:13-17
- Feb. 3 (Week A) Epiphany 4 | Potluck
- Feb. 10 (Week B) Epiphany 5 | Reflecting, Listening, Singing, Communion | Matthew 5:13-20
- Feb. 17 | Rest *No Gathering*
- Feb. 24 (Week C) Transfiguration | Teaching, Singing, Communion | Matthew 17:1-9
- Mar. 2 (Week A) Lent 1 | Potluck and Invitations to Lent *Special Gathering*
- Mar. 9 (Week B) Lent 2 | Reflecting, Listening, Singing, Communion | Matthew 17:1-9
- Mar. 16 (Week C) Lent 3 | Teaching, Singing, Communion | John 4:5-42
- Mar. 23 (Week C) Lent 4 | Teaching, Singing, Communion | John 9:1-41
- Mar 30 | Rest *No Gathering*
- Apr. 6 (Week B) Palm “Sunday” | Reflecting, Listening, Singing, Communion | Matthew 21:1-11
- Apr 13 Easter | Easter Celebration *Special Gathering*
Fall, 2019: Advent to Christmas
- Oct. 7 (Week A) | Potluck
- Oct. 14 | Rest *No Gathering*
- Oct. 21 (Week B) | Reflecting, Listening, Communion | Luke 18:1-8
- Oct. 28 (Week C) | Teaching, Prayer, Singing, Communion | Luke 18:9-14
- Nov. 4 (Week A) | Potluck
- Nov. 11 (Week B) | Reflecting, Listening, Communion | Luke 20:27-38
- Nov. 18 | Rest *No Gathering*
- Nov. 25 (Week C) | Teaching, Prayer, Singing, Communion | Luke 23:33-43