Over the last three years, I have been discerning an invitation to plant a contemplative Vineyard church in Winnipeg’s West End focused on facilitating and nourishing experience with God (Father, Jesus, and Holy Spirit) in a way that features the ethos of spiritual direction, joins ancient and contemporary Christian spiritual practices, and deepens people’s faith, hope, and love.
There is much to share about the discernment journey and I’ll do so at another time. Suffice to say, the church (name to be determined) is ready to sprout. The next few months are experimental and we may change things around as we go; we will also likely meet on Sundays in the future. I’d like to introduce our rhythm, the main features of our gatherings, and invite your participation. Details regarding time, date, etc. are at the bottom of the page and you’re most welcome to contact me if you’d like any further information.
WEEK A | Potluck
We have dinner and hang out together. If you’d like to come, bring a food (appetizer, salad, side, main, or dessert) or drink item to share, or just show up and enjoy some hospitality.
Note: our home is nut-free so please ensure that what you bring doesn’t contain peanuts or tree nuts.
WEEK B | Reflecting, Listening, Communion
We begin with snacks, tea/coffee, and visiting. Then, using the Prayer of Examen and Lectio Divina respectively, we reflect on how God has been present in our week and listen to what he might be saying to us as someone reads a short Bible passage (from the Lectionary) aloud. We finish our time together by sharing communion.
WEEK C | Teaching, Prayer, Singing, Communion
After beginning with snacks, tea/coffee, and visiting, someone (usually me) teaches on a passage from the Bible (from the Lectionary) with a view to painting a bigger and more beautiful portrait of God. We also pray for each other, sing songs to God, and finish our time together by sharing communion.
OTHER WEEKS | Rest
On selected weeks, we take a break from meeting and don’t have a gathering.
Start Date | October 7, 2019 (Week A) | Potluck
Time | Mondays, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Location | We meet in our home in Winnipeg’s West End. Contact me for the address.
Childcare | Kids are welcome, though at this time there’s no childcare or specialized kids’ activities available.
Schedule | Fall, 2019
- Oct. 7 (Week A) | Potluck
- Oct. 14 | Rest *No Gathering*
- Oct. 21 (Week B) | Reflecting, Listening, Communion | Luke 18:1-8
- Oct. 28 (Week C) | Teaching, Prayer, Singing, Communion | Luke 18:9-14
- Nov. 4 (Week A) | Potluck
- Nov. 11 (Week B) | Reflecting, Listening, Communion | Luke 20:27-38
- Nov. 18 | Rest *No Gathering*
- Nov. 25 (Week C) | Teaching, Prayer, Singing, Communion | Luke 23:33-43
- Dec. 2 (Week A) Advent 1 | Potluck
- Dec. 9 (Week B) Advent 2 | Reflecting, Listening, Communion | Matthew 3:1-12
- Dec. 16 (Week C) Advent 3 | Teaching, Prayer, Singing, Communion | Matthew 11:2-11
- Dec. 23 and Dec. 30 | Rest *No Gathering*